Sarb Nam Kaur Khalsa

Friday, November 11, 2005

Sarb Nam Kaur Khalsa




It was a dark and stormy night. Lightning flashed in the July heat of 1957. Sputnik soared to infamy in the night sky...and a new soul joined the human race. Since then, my journey has taken me to many places and through many incarnations!

I started life in a small apartment near the University of California in West Los Angeles. When I was two, my parents moved to the sprawling ranches and orchards known as the San Fernando Valley (now a burgeoning bedroom community of nearly 3 million denizens).

I grew up in the 1950's - 1970's, some of the most tumultous and exciting times in the US of A. I am a product of Women's Lib and the ecology movement (I was there on the first Earth Day to plant a tree). My psyche embraces the images of the Viet Nam conflict and political assassinations. I loved that TV show "American Dreams" as it portrayed the nostalgic side of my childhood.

Graduated California State University of Northridge in 1979. Saw the beginnings of the PC age in my home (my dad built model computer kits from Radio Shack and wrote his own programs). Took my journalism degree to heart, but fell short of the dream of Woodward and Bernstein. Wrote for a travel magazine, moved to San Francisco, became a vegetarian/meditator and moved into a yoga ashram. Met my spiritual teacher, Yogi Bhajan, in 1981 and took Sikh vows at Winter Solstice celebration in Florida. Married my high school sweetheart (who had evolved into my first Kundalini yoga teacher and a Sikh convert) in 1982. Taught yoga at the CSUN Experimental College, moved to Altadena, CA and worked at the California Institute of Technology and the Jet Propulsion Labs in technical writing and computing.

I moved with my husband Aradhana Singh and young son Fateh Singh to Espanola, New Mexico in 1995. We live in a beautiful spiritual vibration with a large Sikh/yoga community. I became a Sikh minister (www.sikhnet.com) in 2004, write poetry, run a mail-order software business from home (www.compu-quote.net), and enjoy the beauty of this stark and amazing land. I am currently a Big Sister to a sweet 9-year old girl. My son attends school in Amritsar, India (www.miripiriacademy.com) and we are enjoying the beautiful fall foliage of New Mexico. Life is good!

3 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger xSHANTIx said...

oooooo another story of how sumone found the Guru..i love these pieces they always make me smile..thanks for sharing good luck with your blog xxxx

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger khaknasheen said...

What does Guru Granth Sahib tell about Yoga?

Yoga is an independent faith and probably the oldest Indian faith. The mission of a yogi is to be a Sidh, one who has realized the ultimate and is able to perform miracles. Guru Nanak is said to have had two serious long discussions with them, one in the snow-covered peaks of Himalayas and the other in village Achal near Batala, Punjab. Guru Nanak Dev has written Sidh Gosht, which is the summary of his spiritual dialogue with them. He criticized their practice of remaining Jati, celibate, and claiming superiority over the family men. He did not agree with their philosophy of faith. He rejected them. There are four hymns in Jap Jee advising yogis to practice the right kind of life rather than believing in their rituals and miracles. He also said that yoga is not the right path for achieving the mission of human life and neither is the path of miracles (of which yogis are proud) the path of holy people. ((Guru Granth Sahib) Page 6)

Sikhs do not follow the path of any kind of yoga. Guru says listening to Gurbani is the true yoga. Kundalni gets awakened (the mission is achieved) by being in Gurmat Sangat.

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Gurinder said...

sarb Nam kaur khalsa ji

Please do not answer to these kind of immature people! there are two people who are consantly posting this stupid questions on other blogs also, such as Gurumustak singhji and Gurudarsan kaur.

Please ignore these kind of people who just know how to twist the words for their own advantage!!!

Don't they know that Guru Ram das is considered as Jog raj and don't they know that ninth guru mediatated for 26yrs!!!

Please ignore these comments from immature people!!! They have nothing else to do just critize other peoples lifestyles!!!

Satnam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home